Joseph Carreno, Pharm.D.
- M.P.H. (in-progress) Wayne State University, School of Medicine
- Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Fellowship, Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University
- Post-graduate Year One Pharmacy Practice Residency, New York Methodist Hospital
- Pharm.D., Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Courses Taught at ACPHS
PTPM Infectious Diseases Module
Advanced Infectious Diseases
Integrated Problem Solving Workshop V
Applied Methods in Epidemiologic Research
Dr. Carreno’s research interests focuses on the application of technology and epidemiologic methods to evaluate and develop antimicrobial stewardship programs. Specifically, Dr. Carreno is interested in pharmacists’ roles in active surveillance, anti-infective related adverse event prevention, and bacterial epidemiology of infectious diseases.
Carreno JJ (PI), Lomaestro B, Tietjan JC, Lodise TP. “Validation of a Bayesian Approach to Estimate Vancomycin Exposure in Obese Patients.” Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacist Young Investigator Research Award. Primary Investigator. 10% Effort. Direct Costs $10,000. Funded.
Carreno JJ, Chambers RM, Kilgore P, Weinmann A, Bloome M, Centi A, Rodriguez J, Davis SL (PI). “Antimicrobial Stewardship Provided Through Novel Approaches to Optimize Pharmacists’ Workflow (Stewardship-NOW)” ASHP/ASHP Foundation Pharmacy Practice Model Initiatives Demonstration Grant. Co-Investigator, 33% Effort. Total Direct Costs: $25,000
Honors and Achievements
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Provost Technology Award (2014)
- Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) Infectious Diseases Fellow Grant (2013)
- Making a Difference in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy (MAD-ID) Travel Grant (2013)
- IDWEEKTM Trainee Travel Grant (2012)
- Heroes of the Blizzard of 2010 commendation (2010)
Dr. Carreno is a Clinical Pharmacist at Albany Medical Center Hospital in Albany, NY.
Previous positions or appointments
- Clinical Pharmacy Instructor, Long Island University (2010 – 2011)
- Adjunct Clinical Pharmacy Instructor, Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon (2010 – 2011)
Carreno JJ, Kenney RM, Bloome M, McDonnell J, Rodriguez J, Weinmann A, Kilgore PE, Davis SL. “Quasi-Experimental Evaluation of Pharmacy Generalists Performing Antimicrobial Stewardship.” Am J Health-Sys Pharm. In Press.
Dumkow LE, Kenney RM, MacDonald, Carreno JJ, Malhotra MK, Davis SL. “Impact of a Multidisciplinary Culture Follow-up Program of Antimicrobial Therapy in the Emergency Department.” Infect Dis Ther. 2014. Jun 3:45–53
Carreno JJ, Jaworski A. Kenney RM. Davis SL. “Comparative Incidence of Nephrotoxicity by Age Group Among Adult Patients Receiving Vancomycin,” Infect Dis Ther. 2013 Dec. 2: 201 – 208