Founded in 1881, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (ACPHS) is a private, independent institution with academic programs and research activities spanning the full spectrum of pharmacy, health sciences and arts and sciences. ACPHS students pursue a wide range of career pathways in health related fields through degree programs in pharmacy, pharmaceutical sciences, biomedical technology, and health and human sciences. More than 1,400 students are enrolled at the College’s main campus located in the heart of the Capital District in Albany, New York, and more than 200 students are currently enrolled at the satellite campus located in Colchester, Vermont.
The Academic Advisor reports to the Director of Student Academic Support and is responsible for providing academic advising to undergraduate students, with an emphasis on new and first-year students. The Advisor works closely with Faculty and Staff to successfully coordinate and implement academic advising to ensure student retention and success in accordance with the Strategic Plan of the College and the Division of Student Affairs. The Academic Advisor also serves on the Academic Advising and Mentoring Committee.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Motivates, encourages and promotes student development and change in advisees utilizing a wide variety of advising and counseling techniques;
• Conducts outreach and recommends a course of action to students experiencing academic difficulty, including, but not limited to students on academic probation and/or at-risk; by providing support on student services topics, and making proper referrals;
• Works with program directors and faculty to monitor student academic progress;
• Collaborates on interdepartmental initiatives such as First-Year Experience Program;
• Participates and represents the office of Student Academic Support at Open Houses, New-Student Orientation, and Sneak Preview events;
• Contributes to the development of all assigned advisees by providing a range of services, including group advising, just-in-time workshops, information sessions and open office hours;
• Communicates and advocates on behalf of students to administrators, faculty and staff;
• Promotes a strong focus on student success amongst students, faculty and staff;
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Academic Support
Bachelor’s degree and 2 - 5 years’ experience in higher education required; Master’s degree and experience in direct student services, such as student affairs or academic advising preferred.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information of three references to:
Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Attn: Office of Human Resources
106 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208
Fax: (518) 694-7043
ACPHS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.