ACPHS utilizes information technology to the fullest extent possible to enhance the learning environment. Wireless access is available in all classrooms and throughout the campus.
For all additional information on the College's Information Technology offerings and capabilities, please visit the IT web site.
ACPHS Laptop Program
The ACPHS Laptop Program for 2012-13 offers a complete laptop package that includes either a state-of-the-art HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet, a HP Probook 6465b Notebook, or HP Probook 6460p Notebook loaded with the software needed for your ACPHS coursework and specially configured for easy connection to the ACPHS network. The benefits of participating in the ACPHS Tablet Program include:
- Value - By partnering with HP and other leading software companies, ACPHS is able to make the laptop package available to incoming first year students (entering fall 2012) for considerably less than a comparably equipped model would cost if purchased through conventionalretail channels.
- Commonality - Having the same laptop choices as your fellow students allows for the formation of an extensive peer-to-peer support group.
- Compatibility - The HP laptops offered have been tested extensively for compatibility with the ACPHS network.
- Laptop loaners - If your ACPHS tablet requires extensive repair, you will be loaned a laptop until yours can be fixed. Students who do not participate in the Mobile Computing program will be required to pay a $10/day fee for the use of a loaner laptop. Students who enrolled at the College prior to the 2009-10 academic year will not be subject to this fee.
- Software/hardware service and support - ACPHS IT staff will provide on-campus support (Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm) for students in the Laptop Program.
In addition to making many of the above benefits possible, standardization allows ACPHS staff in the Support Center to familiarize themselves with a single unit. This specialization makes it easier for them to quickly answer your questions and fix any problems that may arise, thereby ensuring you get the most out of your tablet .
What is the difference between a computer purchased at retail versus one purchased via the ACPHS Tablet Program, if they are the same manufacturer and make?
- Most computer manufacturers make two different grades of computers: consumer and professional/business.
- Consumer grade systems are typically made with more generic parts, or the parts that the manufacturer can get the cheapest in bulk supply.
- Professional/business grade systems are typically made with name brand parts from major manufacturers.
- Consumer grade systems are the ones commonly sold online or via retail stores.
- Professional/business grade system can sometimes be found at retail stores and online; however, most of them have to be ordered via a sales representative with the manufacturer or through a major distributor.
- The computers that ACPHS recommends are in the professional/business class of systems.
- Manufacturers also make several different versions of a particular model. Version differences can be small (e.g., hard drive size) or significant (e.g., a different system/main board, wireless card or video card). These major component differences make it difficult for ACPHS to maintain a consistent software suite image.
- ACPHS will only fully support the HP 2760p, 6465b, and 6460p models recommended via the Laptop Program web page.
Incoming freshmen who choose NOT to participate in the ACPHS Laptop Program are directed to purchase a laptop with the following specifications:
- Laptop computer (required)
- Windows operating system (required)
- 4GB RAM or better (recommended)
- 80GB hard drive (recommended)